Tuesday, October 2, 2007

?Did you know? [Today: Technology]

? Did you know? (personally…I didn’t!!!)
#Today's topic: Technology


1) Have they invented airbags for motorcycles?

Well... as crazy as it sounds... yes they have! I was talking one day to a friend whose best friend died in a motorcycle accident... It was very sad and so unfair because my friend's best friend was wearing a helmet. There has to be something to prevent motorcycle accidents. So I started wondering how we could prevent these accidents other than imposing huge fines for not wearing a helmet. Because helmets not always save a life. If you are wearing a helmet you have 96% chances to survive. But what about this 4%? And then I just realized, that the basic difference between a car (which is considered safer than a motorcycle) and a motorcycle is... the airbag!!

So I started searching online to see if there is any invention regarding... motorcycle airbags! Yes, I thought I was crazy at the moment. And that I would only be able to find the answer in science fiction novels..! But surprise surprise... Honda developed the world's first motorcycle airbag in 2006! The model is called "Honda Gold Wing" and is "[...] part of Honda's commitment to reduce accident related fatalities by 50% by 2010. This is not the first time Honda has developed new technology to make substantial improvements to rider safety[...]". Gold Wing carries a system which is consisted of an airbag, acceleration dectors that sense a potential collision and ECU, a unit that momentarily determines and confirms the collision (in order to activate the airbags). I find it amazing that innovations are being used for safety improvements!

However, there are many barriers in order for the company to design safety-improved models. For example, the engine must weight a lot in order for the motorcycle driver to avoid being ejected over the airbag and the motorcycle. But they invented a safer motorcycle at least...! The bad news is that its cost ranges from $24,349-$24,699... Which automatically makes a safer motorcycle "untouchable" for ordinary people with ordinary jobs. Hopefully we will be able to see more motorcycles of its kind in the future! (safer motorcycles that we would be able to afford). It took them more than 15 years of research and testing in order to invent Gold Wing... That means that they are only some steps away utill they find ways to make safer motorcycles affordable...! :)

By the way... I don't promote and/or advertise Honda! Honda is just the company who invented the motorcycle that answers my question: Motorcycle Airbags...do exist!

*What do you think about this article?*
*I would love to read your comments! Either your agree with me or reject my thoughts, either it is a sentence, or a paragraph….your comment is always welcome!*

2 comments: